Monday, August 29, 2011

What Are You Waiting On?

My attempts at a natural garden have gone to the wayside during the dog days of summer.  Everything was looking pretty spiffy, then I had an attack of voles (if you don't know what these are, google the Devil); and things went down hill quickly after that.  So now, I have some overgrown weeds to contend with, and some overgrown bushes, and some storm damage to boot.


In addition to that, my poor little birds are quite upset with me, I had to take down all of their feeders but one until after the storm passed, so now they are wondering when I am going to get my act together! 

Tomorrow, I am going to show you my plan to "attack" my weeds with a technique that is non-invasive, using the lasagna garden method.  I love this approach, because it is so simple to do, and you are simply adding to what you already have, without having to use chemicals that could be dangerous to the butterflies and birds.  (I love my butterflies and birds!!)  Fall is the perfect time of year to do this, because then the layers will protect your perennials, bushes, and bulbs all winter long, and "bake" your soil so that come spring you will have some lovely, rich soil on top of what you started with. 

Now its off to feed the birds!

No comments:

Post a Comment